L'Austin Translation

"The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

"All you need is Love...

love, love. Love is all you need." ~ The Beatles, All You Need is Love


So it's that time of year again... Valantimes, er, rather Valentine's. It sort of annoys me when people call it Valentimes, though, they could possibly be valant times... but most likely, not.

Not unlike its pimplier and bitchier sister, New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day wavers on the edge of the Vortex of Disapointment.

You know what I mean... Limey and his siblings, and our friends all know what it means. It means that ultimately, these "holidays" are not really holidays unless you have a fucking blast. And since people build them up so much, it's hard to really say when this blast comes into existance.

Limey and I had a blast on New Year's Eve but it was a close call with loads of teetering from side to side in 4" heels. Hell, I even fell flat on my drunken face on the street as we dashed through the cold, windy night. But we narrowly escaped that icky Vortex of Disappointment.

So back to Valentine's Day... I've spent many a Valentine's Day being my own Valentine and a few with another to embrace and makeout with but even with someone to loop arms with, this holiday can really suck it. From the elbow to elbow, noisy "romantic" dinners that you must reserve practically 3 months in advance, to the special menus that usually don't reach even the shadow of the normal menu, to the myriad of candy that adds to the reasons I must get back on my bike, to the sad selection of sappy cards. And why can't they have more humorous cards? Is my humor really too snarky for a holiday that shares initials with STD's?

Take today: I'm so looking forward to spending time with Limey, as I would on any other given weeknight... but I've been fighting off some nasties in the form of a sore throat for a few days. As if I want to share this?? NO!

Oh Vortex of Disappointment, why do you taunt and vex?

So, everyone, I really hope that you can do better than me and at least enjoy your Wednesday night as Wednesdays are my favorite day of the week. Forget about this lame-o title and stare this holiday in the face and tell it just what you want out of it- even if it is commercialism in fushia and cerise- and go get it!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home