L'Austin Translation

"The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."

Monday, November 20, 2006

“There are places i'll remember…

All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends i still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life i've loved them all.” ~The Beatles, In My Life


My apologies for the delay between entries. The delay entailed a spontaneous invite and whirlwind tour of Houston via Rice University and Galveston. All of which were immensely *fucking* awesome. And my tour guide, well he was none other than Sir Lime.

“Galveston is like New Orleans- Light.” Truer words could not be spoken. As soon as you hit Broadway and the first few homes, you are engulfed in its charm. It’s old school without being haughty and small without feeling as if it is trying too hard to be quaint. The vibe is very soothing, yet fun. And maybe the hostess, Limey’s sister, had something to do with it. She was a most gracious hostess with a lust for life. Hanging out with Limey, his sister, and her boyfriend was comfortable and fun.

Houston is a great town. I’ve been there before, thrice, but never was hugely impressed. I know, it’s a little snobby to be a city elitist, but I never felt all that swept up with the city, only this time it was different… I realized that if I were to move to H-Town, I would most certainly thrive but I would miss Austin terribly, just as I miss my hometown, but the heels could be kicked up in H-Town. (Que Conti’s Houston comments…)

Limey took me to meet old friends, one old flame, their new abodes, old hangouts, and most importantly, he shared his love for Houston. Perhaps this nostalgia and connection was what was lacking. How can you NOT at least get a little excited about anything a person you care for is passionate about? You’d have to be channeling inhuman powers, my friend. Or at least, you would not be moved by much. And that’s a sad thought.

My sleepiness deterred intense reaction, but honestly, this little last-minute trip was amazing. Even the former Enron towers received my pity and admiration as we drove under them and I was regaled with tales of a former life.

I’m just going to say it: I am a sentimental sap but I find it hard to share my appreciation and love for the past with many people. It’s the way I was raised and perhaps it is the same with Limey. It honestly didn’t hit me until today that this is the first time since THE Ex that anyone has shared their past with me in such an honest and genuine way. It also occurred to me that I’ve been reticent to share my past with anyone because, quite frankly, I geek the fuck out about it and it has scared a few boys away. Sentimental sap, indeed.

Well, Limey is not scared. And this girl is game for sharing her geeky past because we should be liked for who we are, past included. But there is something that neither of us is willing to share, or at least since this weekend--each other.

I think what I mean to say is, “Oh Holy Crap! I’m officially un-unboyfriendable!”

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But no Chacho's...
That's ok, there will be other times. Oh yes, there will be.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Douglas said...

whomikejones?

4:31 PM  
Blogger Douglas said...

HTown is ok if you know and or live in the right parts. Galveston is cool...especially in winter when noone is there. I have learned to really like them both.

Merry Christmas!

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was right about limey so far..interesting..

H-town is great if you know where to go and do. When he takes you back try to hit Mark's, pricey but fantastic restaurant..

s

3:54 PM  
Blogger It's me, @Moustachio said...

Thank you for being the only blogger other than myself to give some love to Screwston. Seriously, props!

Why didn't Mr. Lime take you to the Astrodome, though? I mean, what type of tour guide skips out on the 8th wonder of the world?

7:25 PM  
Blogger L'Austin Translation said...

Um... he did. I just didn't mention it because baseball is a sore subject right now!

Also, "Rent for the Astrodome is the ninth wonder of the world!"

9:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

and you officially created another new word...un-unboyfriendable...and your lyrics quotes are always top shelf.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home