"When you’re weary, feeling small...
When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all" ~ Simon and Garfunkel, Bridge Over Troubled Water
Mr. Pinkerton’s posts about his brother really hit home for me and inspired me to think about all of the really great times I have with my sister now that we aren’t clawing at each other’s throats.
I mean, sure we’re 7 years apart and she purposely aggravates and we’re polar opposites to the nth degree… and it is irksome how she lets her dirty dishes pile up around her room and on the counter as if she’s feeding the microorganisms that be; or the way she feigns ignorance in any cleaning task; the half-done Sudoku puzzles and folded up Daily Texans tediously littering our living space; and it is stressful how last minute and blasé she can be about important items, but she’s fucking awesome too…
Last night, she came to me at 1am, crying. “She’s dieing,” and she crumbles into my arms. The sister has a pet spider--Charlotte the Tarantula. She’s had it for about 10 years. I don’t know exactly, because I missed out on a lot of her formidable years when I went away to school. I hold my sister close and rub her back. “It’s okay, let’s go take a look.”
Checking on Charlotte, it doesn’t look good. I never was thrilled about Charlotte’s presence but I fed her when my sister was away during Christmas and I’ll do what I can for her in this time of need.
I’m touched that she came to me and that I was able to be there for her as her other two (a cat and a dog, thank goodness!) watch with anticipatory worry in their eyes. The animals adore her too.
Which is something that’s happened before… and was a direct catalyst for our stormy relationship in the past: We dated brothers. Normally, I’d think twice about doing this again, but she, her boyfriend, and my parents are all pulling for this guy (Cinci Boy.) We’ll see what the future holds. He is most definitely worthy.
This past weekend, we went to an ASL movie downtown. Seeing her interact and light-up when she is having a conversation with a fatherly older gentleman was heart-warming. He encouraged her to keep learning.
I have never seen her interact with the deaf, or even with other ASL students, though she volunteers regularly to help at the School for the Deaf. It was just impressive. She has talents that are on the other end of the spectrum from her siblings’ but she owns them and kicks some major ass.
That’s my sister. In a few paragraphs… and a list. She’s someone welcomed excitedly into the world because “I always wanted a sister…” but conversely ignored and temporarily resented-- but that’s sibling rivalry for you.
Even though one of us foots most of the bills and has to nag the other about cleaning the litter box, we have learned to enjoy our differences. We’re probably more alike than we even realize.
Who else can I have a conversation like this with and fall to the floor in laughter?...
“But you’re the one that’s stacked. What’s with that?”
“Bitch, you’re tall. I’ll trade ya!”

2 Comments:
awwww I hope she reads this!
I don't know if she peruses or not. Probably not.
I've told her I have a blog but her reply was, "WHAT for?!" Classic for the sister...
I left it at that :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home