L'Austin Translation

"The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

“Hey Lloyd, I’m ready to be heartbroken….

Cause I can’t see further than my own nose at this moment.” ~ Camera Obscura, Lloyd I’m ready to be Heartbroken


He is my cat. You know, the one that is running around South Austin?
The one causing me so much heartbreak?
Yeah, the one causing the worry to gnaw away at me.

He’s not come home and we have not seen him in 2.5 weeks. I’ve tried it all:

  • Flyers

  • Searching the neighborhood on foot

  • Searching the neighborhood by vehicle

  • Talking on my cell phone at night in the area

  • Feral cat traps

  • Leaving food out

  • Checking the pound

  • Leaving lost cat information anywhere I can: the pound, vets offices, around the neighborhood and local restaurants


  • He’s microchipped and had a collar on when he escaped. I have been a responsible pet owner.

    They say that so many animals are found thanks to the microchips, but knowing the former feral lifestyle of my cat, I’m not entirely sure that he will ever be caught. He’s shy in that jumpy sort of way.

    I also learned a little something that is alarming: Austin Animal Control does not exist. They make it out to appear like it does, but really, they just connect you to a private trapper that deals with wild animals like possum and raccoons. They will not trap cats.

    Instead, they have Austinites bring strays and ferals into the shelter.

    I’m not sure about you, but I would probably not take a cat into the shelter, especially since it’s not readily known that nothing is done about strays and ferals. My thinking is that someone may have seen him but either doesn’t know, or isn’t crazy enough to touch a strange and frightened animal to bring it in.

    At the risk of being overly dramatic:
    I’m not sure he will ever be returned and don’t think I could get another cat and risk the heartbreak of losing another animal prematurely.

    4 Comments:

    Blogger Jess said...

    Don't give up hope. I sometimes have a hard time understanding how awful it can be for someone to lose a pet. This is probably because I grew up on a farm and lost a lot of pets over the course of 18 years.

    However, one of the many reasons I have for not getting a dog (even though I want one so badly I can taste it), is that I don't think I could handle something happening to it. I no longer have that immunity built up.

    I really hope he comes back.

    8:12 PM  
    Blogger L'Austin Translation said...

    Me too.

    I have this itch to save all of those poor animals at the pound each time I go in search of my cat.

    I've fallen for a mini-me of my cat (personality and looks) and a tiny female dilute marble tortie.

    But I keep making myself repeat: I will not become crazy cat lady... I will not become crazy cat lady...

    11:56 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    why is it that guys (or even gals) that have 2 or 3 or 4 dogs are just animal lovers but when it's cat there's a conotation of being crazy?

    things that make you go hmmmm.

    9:52 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i'm so sorry. i hope you find the rascal. when i lost my dog, i walked around for days bumping into things.

    5:20 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home