So that's where you've been spending your time!
The details.
Call me crazy, but I continued to peruse the online personal ads. I think to myself, " Glutton for punishment or just proactive?" Most of the time, nothing even remotely interests me, though a few are bad enough to cause audible giggles and snorts. Fodder for my weekly (oops, missed last week- sorry guys) personal ad advice column. Or whatever it is. But I digress.
So I'm bored at home and I come across this ad that's short and to the point, but pretty much describes me. It was as if it were written specifically for me and I couldn't help myself. "What could go wrong?" I ask.
He responds in kind. He's 32, can write, is a computer nerd, is gainfully employed, and tells me he has dark brown hair and hazel eyes.
I mean, what girl could resist at this point. Certainly not me!
Then, an attachment email. I'm nervous but oh.so.curious.
The first is a picture of two dogs. They are large, golden, fluffy, and appear content. A dog owner- that's very good. And as my friend Salome says, "His dogs make me like him already." The larger dog has soulful eyes and a boxy face. The other dog has pure adoration written all over him. He's got a sweet, loving expression that makes him almost puppy-like. I'm impressed.
Then a picture of him in a baseball cap. Now, I love a man in a baseball cap. He's got a big grin, and nice arms. It's a decent picture, but I still wasn't entirely sold but I know that some people- like myself, just present better in person. So I agree to meet.
The boy can plan a date.
I have 3 choices of dates:
1. Sunday afternoon bike ride along Town Lake hike and bike trail, stopping to eat on the patio at a Barton Springs establishment, and ending at Jim-Jim's shaved ice place downtown
2. If it rains Sunday afternoon, sitting under a "palapa" at Hula Hut, watching the rain with awesome margaritas in hand.
3. Monday night, eating at a restaurant of my choosing, then a concert at Saxon Pub.
I chose 3, mostly because I'd rather not get all sweaty in front of a boy I just met and it is still 90 degrees out, despite our mild summer heat. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those girls that can't get dirty and sweaty with boys around, just not on a first date. I also choose 3 because the concert that night is Bob Schneider, one of my favorite local artists. If you haven't heard of him- check him out. He's fucking awesome and he's nice to look at too.
This is a few days after seeing Spoonman on a bike date with that girl, so I'm feeling pretty shitty. Add to that, a rough day at work and Monday night isn't sounding all that plausible to me but I feel bad for cancelling last minute and I'm not the type that would ever stand someone up, so I throw on a cute deep sea-green top, some jeans, slide my sandals on my feet, fluff the hair, and slick on some lip gloss. Perfect- not trying too hard, but still dolled up.
We meet at an interior Mexican Food joint and as I walk up, he stands and comes towards me, pulls my chair out, then sits after I've sat. Impressive. The boy's got manners. He's also far more good looking than his picture led on. I would use the word "hot" to describe him. Dark hair, tanned skin from so many bike rides and runs, nice arms and legs, hazel eyes, and an inviting smile. He's wearing cargo shorts, flip flops, and a red t-shirt that hugs him in all the right places.
When his sleeve shifts a bit, I can see he's got two tattoos, one on each bicep- armbands. I'm not too crazy about tattoos but his were tasteful and had a nice design. I overlook the ink.
He's easy to talk to and I warm up fast. His demeanor is cool and confident with a boyish charm. He's a really great conversationalist and well-rounded, and I find myself really enjoying the date.
We head over to the pub for the concert where he bought a beer that we ended up sharing. Yum. Newcastle. He's got good taste in beer.
The place is packed and it's standing room left, so we sidle up to a railing on a ramp and squish in with all the others. It's tight. He apologizes when he brushes up against me due to people walking by. Then an older couple that remind me of my parents push their way to the front of the ramp, just in front of this young guy in front of me.
They were about 50-60, the guy had grey hair and is mustache-ed in one of those 70's styles that are reminiscent of Burt Reynolds or the Sabotage video from the Beastie Boys. Yes, my father has a "sabostache" STILL. They have apparently been drinking and the man starts grinding his pelvis into the woman whilst waving his hips back and forth not unlike one of those hula girls that dance on people's dashboards. I snort a bit and show amusement. My dad and this man went to the same school of dance. Well, aside from the pelvic thrusts. Thankfully, I've never seen that going on. Ack!
So these dance movements get more and more exaggerated as time goes on. and it starts to cause the guy in front of me to back up into me and apologize. I am understanding, after all, I'm getting the show too and would not want old man butt rubbing against me either. The couple was asked several times by surrounding "ramp-mates" to take it down a few notches. Nothing changes.
My date asks the guy in front of me, "You know what you should do?"
Guy in front of me is curious, "What?"
My date whispers in his ear and they both start laughing.
GIFOM: "Oh no, I couldn't do that." He's blushing a tad. Okay, a lot. The boy was practically sunburned.
My date shrugs, "I've got no shame, I'll do it."
He walks towards the couple, grabs the guy by his waste and starts swinging his hips- hula style, in sync with the couple. He screams, "Yeah, rock on!" There are no pelvic thrusts.
I am crying with laughter. The guy in front of me shook with fits of laughter, as did a few other of our "ramp-mates." My date returns in back of me and watches.
The hip sways have lessened and there are fewer pelvic thrusts, but they are still commanding way too much space for two people and squishing us. My date yells, "Ooooh he's got a MOUSTACHE! How cute!" GIFOM and I erupt in giggles.
The man finally stops swaying and they stand still for the rest of the concert, allowing much more room for those of us against the railing of the ramp. It worked. "I knew that would work," He said confidently.
I realized that I wasn't even remotely embarrassed by this. It was hilarious and pretty darn ingenious. I wish I had the guts to be so shameless and bold. I thank him and smile. The smile in return seemed relieved that I wasn't running from the pub. He whispers in my ear, "I think I'd like to see you again." I turn and smile, "Me too."
After the concert, on the way back to the truck, he stops me just below the sign with the knight armor and says, "Just so it won't be awkward later," and kisses me. It was short but really nice. He's a good kisser. "Wow," I say.
Wow, indeed.

5 Comments:
"Catch me I'm fallin'...doot doot doot doot doot doot...catch me now I'm fallin'" sang a la 80's style..you prolly don't know that song. Sounds like you had a really nice first date.
cartman: "sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet"
Perfect first date! And Bob Schneider has these eyes ... mmmmmhhhhmhmmmm!
Yeah, Bob is so totally hot.
Oh, I've been so lazy with the blog.
Updates soon!
I don't agree with interfering with a moustached man's dances. Please be aware.
Post a Comment
<< Home