“They say it’s your birthday…
It’s my birthday too, yeah!” ~ The Beatles
As I spoke with my loony aunt yesterday, I realized that as nuts as I think she is, she sometimes is pretty insightful.
My mother’s younger sister is certifiably nuts. She’s got the heaviest Michigan accent one has ever come upon and she hops onto every new health kick that you can read about in the latest Reader’s Digest. Then she forces you onto her kicks by making you eat bark and twigs and strange combinations while we're visiting.
I hear her squeaky voice crackling though my cell phone, using that same condescending way of speaking she has used since I was 5 years old:
“Sweetie, we are SO. Prowd of youuuuuuu.”
“Thanks auntie.”
“You’ve grown up into such a wuvly young lady.”
“Yeah, that happens, um sometimes.”
“How old are you again?”
“28.”
“Wow! Did you ever dream of being 28?”
I had to stop and think for a bit before responding.
I remember sort of looking forward to 18 and 20 and 21 but probably most Americans do that. The next monumental birthday is 22 or 25 because that’s when your car insurance rates reduce significantly, but really, who dreams of that?
Everyone seems to dread 30, so why not dream of 28? Here is my list of things this 28-year-old is dreaming of:
Bring it, 28! I’m ready for ya!

7 Comments:
28 is a good year, was for me anyway. But now that I'm rounding the corner to 30, I've decided that I should have just satayed 23. No matter how obnoxious I was at that age.
Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
Thank you!
28 is shaping up to be really good.
I've had a perma-grin slapped on my face for a week!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
it's belated wishes, i know. but forgive me. i hope you had, or are going to have a kick-ass time.
p.s. steak jalisco? what is that?
No worries on late birthday wishes. Sincerity is what matters most. So, thank you!
Steak Jalisco is a dish at my fav. restaurant: Vivo
Tender flank steak grilled with peppers, onions and it has a cilantro-garlic dipping sauce.
It doesn't sound as good as it tastes but believe me, it's amazing.
gelato does not age discriminate
That it does not!
I believe I have hit the gelato jackpot: Paciugo.
Rose gelato can rock my world any day.
Rose!
Post a Comment
<< Home