"You tell that you’ve ev’rything you want,
And your bird can sing,
But you don’t get me,
You don’t get me." -The Beatles, And Your Bird Can Sing.
Personal ads are a form of entertainment for me. I can't help it. Since I was able to understand what they were [and read], I've been fascinated. Can someone REALLY find love through text? As a young girl, I wasn't so convinced. Now? Well, good writing is a definite turn-on.
Writing a personal ad is an art form. Really, I truly believe this. It's not easy to advertise yourself without sounding either infomercial-esque, self-absorbed, or too far on either ends of the spectrum.
Too long-winded and people lose interest. That is, unless you are a master of the written word, then everyone falls prey to your prowess.
Too short and you end up uninteresting and mono-syllabic. "Me Tarzan. Me no want monkey babe. Ug."
Thanks to places such as Match.com, Nerve.com, and Craigslist, we can now post multiple profiles in as little as 15 minutes- or as fast as those little fingers can type. Go, babies, GO! And this may not be for the best.
I mean, come on people, we're looking for someone to go to the movies with, to share a milkshake with, to give us those fluttery moments. You are essentially advertising yourself, so spend some good time on your ad. But not too much time. The trick is to make it seem easy and as if you threw it up there in 15 minutes without really doing just that.
Easy, right? Well.... I see poor specimens, but good examples of this very phenomenon all the time.
I think I just may devote one blog posting a week to a theme of the perils of online dating, because so many are blindly committing personal ad suicide in some gruesome but easily remedied ways. Hey, if this helps even one person 'hook up,' however one wishes to define it, then my work is done!
First installation coming soon. This weekend, perhaps.
If you all run into some funny ads, send them in! I don't spend all day perusing the personal ads. Really, now. I don't.
Stop laughing.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home