L'Austin Translation

"The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."

Monday, June 05, 2006

"I'll never be all you want me to....

but that's alright." ~Jayhawks, I'm Gonna Make You Love Me.

This morning as I walked into the office, I was greeted with a hearty, "Happy Birthday!"

"It's not my birthday... yyyyet. What's this?" My cubicle was strewn with confetti, streamers, and a couple balloons. "It's not for another 16 days."

16 days. I think to myself, "That's.... one more day than half a month."

It's not very long. And time is slip sliding into the known.

The other day, I was invited to a NIN concert as someone's date. I accepted as I used to be pretty into them, you know, back in high school. Then I realized that 12-15 years had escaped my grasp since I've bought one of his albums. Sorry Trent, my tastes have changed drastically.

But-- 12 to 15 YEARS! Just when did I get to be old enough that teen and preteen numbers no longer allude to early childhood or toddler years? Time is funny like that. Not "ha,ha-funny" but "weird-funny."

My parents have stopped freaking out so much about my activities on dates and have started freaking out about the dates actually leading to a chain of dates. They've started checking out the left hands of good-looking men for glimmer of a ring. Well, the lack thereof. I mean, seriously, WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!

My siblings are also in their 20's.

The children that I used to babysit when I was 12 years old are now in college.

Yet, it doesn't feel all that long ago. And in a lot of ways, I still feel like a kid, myself. A responsible adult, but only responsible for me. If I want to eat ice cream for every mean one day, I can. If I want to lay around all day in my skivvies and read, it's up to me. Bedtime is also no longer dependent on a parent's nagging. Yet, I floss and brush my teeth every night because that's what a responsible adult should do.

I just like having teeth that aren't smeared with Fixident to stay put.

All of the things that I swore as a child that I wouldn't make myself do, I do.



  • brush my teeth and floss
  • drink wine and beer
  • like the color pink
  • make my bed--or at least pull up the comforter!
  • let the dishes sit overnight (well, not that often)
  • kiss boys
  • scrub the tub
  • wear skirts
  • kiss my family members when greeting/parting
  • eat ice cream for a meal



-- Wait, that's something I promised myself I would do!
Things like:


  • learn guitar
  • turn up the music a little TOO loud
  • own a cat despite allergies
  • have a tall, fluffy bed, overthrown with pillows
  • bake a pie just for the hell of it
  • take lots of baths
  • make lots of lists and actually FOLLOW them
  • always be on time
  • dance a silly dance at least once a week-- in my living room, with the music up too loud, and wearing my underfrillies

Hey, a girl's got to have her vices.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Happy early birthday...and the Jayhawks rule! If you learn your G, C, and D chords first, you can play a lot of their songs!

As a lifelong guitar player, I can think of nothing better to give yourself than guitar lessons for your birthday!! If you lived in Phoenix, I would offer a couple for free!

2:48 PM  
Blogger L'Austin Translation said...

Aren't you the sweetest? Thank you so much!

You know, I'm having trouble memorizing the chords. I've got C and G down but am getting A (minor ?) and D mixed up.

You're absolutely right, though: Lessons, stat!

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home