L'Austin Translation

"The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."

Monday, April 16, 2007

“When you wake up feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelin’ old!”

~Wilco, WYWFO


Making it through the day today will not be without a soundtrack of groans and whining. This body is sore past the point of comprehension. I am pressing my mind to find a time when I was any more sore and I can’t come up with one. Not even in the days of the 100m dash or when I had to swim in a sweatshirt and jeans back in the days of the swim team.

Its that kind of sore that puts you in that perpetual sleepy state. Monday is a daze. Merely shifting your weight in the chair, trading crossed legs, makes you wince. Soreness currently laughs in the face of 3 Advil. "Take that, you overdose of anti-inflammatories! You are no match for me!"

But it was well-earned. Yesterday, I learned to wakeboard on Lake Travis. It was a gorgeous day outside, but not nearly warm enough to be wakeboarding without a wetsuit, which is what our crazy selves were doing. It probably didn’t help the soreness, all the shivering and shaking; Goosebumps too.

In typical fashion, I was first out of the boat and into the crisp water. The difference in temperature inside and outside the water was maybe 10 degrees and that’s pushing it. And really, I did fine until the wind picked up. That’s when the teeth started chattering and the face-plants started.

But there were a few good times when I got up and stayed up long enough to realize that I was, in fact, wakeboarding and had gone over the wake, smiled, and then smacked the water hard enough to rattle the contacts in my eyes. Ouch!

I’ve also got a large inaugural bruise on my shin that is a bit of a mystery. But it was incredible fun and I’ll do it again despite the fact that I feel about 80 years old today.

I wonder how Limey is fairing…

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

hey l'austin,
lake travis?
you should be past windy season at this point.
so hopefully, it won't be too bad for your next outting.
surprised that it's that warm out on the water at this time though.

do your friends ever go out to lake austin to wakeboard?
i have some friends who used to go out on tuesday mornings regularly.

oh, and for the meds,
i've learned that ibuprophen is less preferable to naproxen (aleve).
less risk of cardiac damage.
so just don't OD please :)

hope the soreness goes away. and you don't get DOMS, and have it get worse tomorrow.

-e

9:37 PM  
Blogger L'Austin Translation said...

I haven't been out on Lake Austin, but from what I hear- that's the place to do it.

Maybe after I learn how not to face-plant because that's where all the awesomes wakeboard...


:-}

2:10 PM  
Blogger Eddie said...

LOL.

yeah, i personally don't know jack about wakeboarding.

but i just love that you used the word "awesomes" to refer to other people.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home