L'Austin Translation

"The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."

Thursday, April 26, 2007

"St. Genevive can hold back the water...

but saints don't bother with a tear-stained eye." ~ Son Volt, Tear-Stained Eye




About 6-7 weeks ago, I dragged myself kicking and screaming [on the inside...] to the optometrist to get contacts.

9 years ago, I let my boyfriend at the time fish my first pair of contacts out of my bloodshot eyes. That was the last time I even thought about contacts until this summer. Little seeds were planted here and there:

grocery store: Gee, I wish I could read that sign above the aisle... where the crap is the baking soda??
work: Um... who was that at the end of the corridor that waved at me?
ACL fest: Oh crap, now I have to wear glasses in front of Limey (whom I had just met days before and who still made me uber nervous)
work: Crap on a cracker! I can't see a thing on this Power Point presentation.

And since in a little less than a week, there's a Son Volt concert... I thought it might be fucking awesome to be able to discern Jay from Andrew. Yes, I know they look nothing alike! That's my point- I just couldn't see. Thank goodness Jeff Tweedy toured alone!

My eyes recoiled in horror realizing that they will be fondled on a daily basis. The blink reflex is a bitch to overcome. But one day it happened... the hour it took to insert them turned to 30 minutes, then 15, then 10, and now less than 5. Nevermind that it took losing my glasses for 2 weeks to push it to this point. Life is funny that way.

There is no more ghetto-rigging my sunglasses over my tortoiseshell catseye glasses... no more blind run-in's at work... and no more pouting and stomping and general pissed-offness at myself for being the last adult on earth to figure out contacts.

One tip, though: Wear glasses to a crawfish boil.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

I've been wearing my glasses a ton more than my contacts since I got a new pair for Christmas.

Then again, there's no way I could go without either. Without glasses or contacts, I can't even see the words I'm typing on the screen right now.

12:38 PM  
Blogger L'Austin Translation said...

I love my glasses but was totally getting annoyed because they don't work with mountain biking or sunglasses.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Douglas said...

I wear glasses most of the time, but if i am going to be outside, i wear contacts. I can't see as well with contacts as i can my glasses.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Eddie said...

ok, totally not on the main subject of your post, but ....

sun volt is STILL together? and STILL "touring"?

hope you can see well.

1:54 AM  
Blogger L'Austin Translation said...

Maybe you were thinking of Uncle Tupelo? Or is it that Jay reformed the band that is still named SV?

Either way, Son Volt is still alive and kickin'.


I'm having trouble finding someone that will enjoy the concert to go with me... I may end up selling a ticket. :-(

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home