L'Austin Translation

"The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."

Friday, October 27, 2006

“If you can’t be with the one you love, honey…

Love the one you’re with…” ~Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, Love the one you’re with.



The worst part about dating two guys that you really like is that you really like them both.

Eventually there will have to be a decision and someone's heart will be broken (It could be mine, even) but for now, it’s all about enjoying my time with each of them. A wise woman once said, “When life gives you popsicles, don’t complain.” And right now, that’s what I have: a choice of popsicle flavors.

Cherry or grape? Orange Creamsicle, or a Pudding Pop? For the sake of anonymity, the boys will henceforth be referred to as the frozen delicacy that they favor.

Sir Issac Lime Otterpop


Lime Otterpop caught this girl’s eye. With dashing good looks and a charming smile, he’s HOT. He’s quirky and outgoing but not weird or loud. Rather, it’s endearing. Sir Lime winks and smiles if he catches my eye. And to top it all off, he’s just incredibly nice. Not at all cold and icey like his name might suggest.

We can talk about anything- from historical sentimentality, to statistics, to baseball, to dog poop. Often times, the conversations come full-circle and the laughter ensues. Sir Lime even followed the Tiger’s rocky climb to the top and is nearby to console a pouting, yet hopeful fan. Really, he’s a catch.



Bomb Pop was a surprise. He approached me and each time something new is learned about him, it blows my mind- hence the Bomb Pop moniker. We share the same home town and attended rival high schools. The Bomb and I share the same affinity for a certain food item that is unavailable anywhere other than in our home town, heavy metal, Classic Rock, and staying grounded.

Bomb Pop


The Bomb calls just to chat and he’s watchful of how late he calls. He’s polite and soft-spoken without lacking confidence. Thoughtful AND a good cook! The Bomb contacted me first despite the lack of photos in the profile and didn’t badger for photos as so many guys have done although at first sight of him, there was nearly a puddle of melted Scarlett all over the doorway of the dining establishment because he was so hot.

Both share a similar path in life, both have a boyish charm and smiling eyes, intellect and a laid-back, fun outlook on life. At this point, there is no picking one. And who knew that 6 weeks later, not just one, but BOTH would still be around? “Surely, they will weed themselves out. Surely…” Not anyone who is familiar with the track record of the past 3 years.


“Do they know about each other?” Someone asks...

“No, but if they asked, I would tell them and I’m not going about this with bad intentions or using careless methodology,” Is the standard reply.

“Aren’t you worried that they might be seeing other girls?”

“No and yes. No, because in their case, there IS someone else and that would be crappy and illogical to deny them the same freedom… and if they choose another girl, it wasn’t meant to be. Yes, because we’re all a tad bit neurotic about protecting our emotions, right?



At this point, I am happy. All parties are free to explore opportunities until some undetermined point in the future. There are no expectations other than basic courtesy. All else is bonus. Unlike in the World Series, no one is ahead of the other, no errors have been made, two men on the bases, no outs, no strikes.

Time will tell; I’m sure of this.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I know already - my money is on Lime Otterpop but I know the Bomb might pull ahead after Halloween. Don't sweat a decision yet...just have fun. s

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome, sound like you've met yourself two outstanding candidates to fill out the chapters in your life =)

Rare find indeed. Speaking from experience, they WILL weed themselves out. Many moons ago - like 10, I found myself in a similiar situation. Two men, drastic differences in their personality and what they brought to the table, but after a couple of short months, one rose above the other and my choice was clear.

I spent 5 years with that guy. =)

8:31 AM  
Blogger It's me, @Moustachio said...

"he’s watchful of how late he calls"

hahahaha

2:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the popcicle analogy as well as your outlook on your syrupy, yet slightly icy situation. Have fun! My vote goes with Bomb Pop, only because I dig the name!!

10:59 PM  
Blogger L'Austin Translation said...

S: You know, they've taken turns usurping each other. Bomb Pop was a little shy at the costume party but attentive. That surprised me, then again, it was full of the pseudo-snobby as those parties usually are...

Funqui: Good to hear!

Conti: Oh, I totally didn't mean for that to be a dig on you, but yeah... 2am is late for an "old lady" like me.

Strada: Thanks. I chose my two favorite popsicles but City Wendy gets credit for the popsicle concept.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, I can see the concept coming from City Wendy! Come to think of it, I remember her post now...she was giving some of her famous advice! Well, have fun with it!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Douglas said...

can you truly move forward in a relationship when there is someone on the side?

maybe i am old fashioned.

9:59 AM  
Blogger L'Austin Translation said...

Good question, Billy. Believe me, this feels incredibly foreign to be dating and LIKING two boys.

Having been burned so many times in the dating scene when I've followed the "old fashioned" rules, I decided to try something new. Why not? Guys do it all the time although with not so sincere intentions.

Ultimately, I want to be with one. I'm not in this to "sow my wild oats." I am trying to figure out which one is a better match and it's too soon to tell.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home