"A Paper Tiger Can't Tell You Where He Stands..."
~ Spoon, Paper Tiger.
So, there's been this notable pattern with my dating foibles and sports this year. At first, I was just being silly and a might bit of a vindicate but now, it's starting to scare me a little bit.
Example #1: PhD Boy.
PhD Boy and I are both rabid sports fans. He happens to be studying baseball through history and was a big Red Sox fan as well as a Sooner. Yuck, I know. Sucklahoma. He's also a Longhorn because he's attending UT. But he would sooner admit he was a Yankees fan.
I, on the other hand am a Tigers fan, with Red Sox fandom seeping in quite a bit and a Longhorn.
Since the boy is studying sports stadiums and he states that he's never been in Daryl K. Royal Memorial Stadium, I think, "Well, it is football season, if I can snag tickets that would be a kick ass date."
I managed to get some tickets and they were pretty decent seats too. I wasn't going to have him pay anything for the tickets but he insisted.
He seemed to enjoy the game and even caught himself clapping along with our fight song. It was pretty funny to see him turn the scarlett of his BoSox hat. And we had our first kiss after this date. It seemed to be going well.
Fast forward a week, he calls me while he's boarding a plane back to Austin from his work destination and drops a bomb, "There's something missing. I'm sorry. Oh, got to go, we're getting on the plane."
Totally did not see that coming.
Well, later that season, we clobbered OU and then won the National Championship. I joked after the OU game that it was silent revenge. Little did I know that this might hold true.
Example #2: Spoonman
Spoonman is a lifetime Cubs fan. Much like my lifetime of Tiger fandom, only he lived in Chicago and my parents are the ones that are from Detroit.
Spoonie and I dated for 3 months and it seemed to be incredible. I couldn't believe my luck in snagging a guy with a creative side, a love for baseball as big as or bigger than mine, great taste in music, intelligent, and incredibly hot.
Well, apparently he didn't realize what he had in me because he said, "I can't do the relationship thing." Right, he even dragged his mom into it saying that she even thinks he has a problem. Cry me a river.
His beloved Cubs had been doing alright but took a sharp downturn that has yet to improve. Meanwhile, my Tigers are dominating the entire season. We are .652 to their .388, which is sweet, sweet revenge; especially on this weekend while we smear his team all over the playing field.
And there you have it: Fuck with my heart, your teams have horrible sports seasons.
Well, I don't really think it has THAT much to do with me, but it's getting to the point where it's scary.

2 Comments:
remind me to to get involved with you. i want my suns to win it all next year and i don't want the jinx.
While with the ex his teams dominated for nearly the entire 5 years. Now, not so much.
But alas, Phoenix!
Tell you what, I'll send the Suns some good juju. My birthday present to you.
Post a Comment
<< Home