A confession:
Lately, I’ve been really amazed at the really great new-ish bands I’ve been into.
Since the beginning of time, I’ve been feverishly hot and heavy into the oldies. The Beatles, The Sinatras (Frank and Nancy), Simon and Garfunkel, Ella Fitzgerald, Sam Cooke, and Classic Rock. You know when you were a kid and you went to the grocery store with your parents and the pinto beans piled into the display are SO inviting? They just scream “Dig in, go ahead. Stick those arms in up to your elbows!” Yeah. That’s me and the music that is older than my years. Pinto-fucking-beans.
Imagine my surprise when I download some Son Volt, Spoon, Camera Obscura, and Devotchka and I’m just as crazy about them. Yeah- really, really, exponentially surprised.
But there’s one album that I just can’t stand.
It bothers me. I’ve been so open-minded lately and this SHOULD be right up there. SO many people that dig these same bands LOVE this group and their album.
But I hate it so. And not in that Paris Hilton’s/Lindsey Lohan’s-album-love-to-hate-it kind of way. I’m almost ashamed to admit there is cringe-factor when the first few notes on the CD blurt out of my CD changer’s speakers. I should really replace CD #4- and soon.
The album you ask? Mates of State: Bring it Back.
I’ve not tried any of their other stuff but now I’m scared. iTunes must have picked the poignant spots in each song for the samples because I feel finagled into purchasing and burning this poor CD into existence.
I’m trying to think of another album in the past that I’ve felt so dirty for buying. I mean, besides the short-lived Jewel fandom.
Shut up. Yes, Jewel. Just shut.up.
What’s your musical purchase buyer’s remorse?

2 Comments:
I like Mates of State, but it took a while for them to grow on me. I think seeing them live finally did it.
A friend of mine says that all their CDs sound like a collection of unreleased demos. And I think that is probably the best description of their sound I've ever heard.
Son Volt rocks. There is a good English band called Gomez out there. I bought their live album and only listened once. Also, the same thing happened when I bought a live Jayhawks album. Not much on the new sounds these days. I have the Black Crowes on repeat today.
Post a Comment
<< Home